# Emotional Journey Map
|Motive||Understanding the emotional roller coaster of the user during her tasks|
|Participants||Design Thinking team|
|Duration||30 minutes to 2 hours|
# What is it about?
The Emotional Journey Map is about mapping and analyzing the emotional highs and lows of a user while dealing with a product.
# The goal
An Emotional Journey Map illustrates the customer journey to be investigated. The focus here is not only on the interaction with the product, but rather on what makes the user satisfied or dissatisfied in the end. Understanding the feelings that are triggered in a user makes it possible to create meaningful improvements in the product.
# How to do it?
- Choose the type of customer and the scenario you want to investigate.
- Define the actions and steps within this scenario.
- Determine the qualitative highs and lows regarding user-friendliness during each action. If necessary, use results from the research.
- Connect the individual evaluation points to form a line.
- Analyse the low points of the journey and generate improvements.
# When do you need it?
This method helps to get to know the user and his context better. It is recommended when new ideas are needed to improve the quality of the user experience.
- Paper or Whiteboard
- Post-it Notes
# Keep in mind
Often, users take different actions than the Design Thinking experts would expect. This must be taken into account when playing through the scenario from the user's perspective.
# See also